2016 Fall Meeting
Meeting Date and Place
September 26-27, 2016, Georgetown University, Washington, DC
Presentations, Documents, etc.
Defining and Prioritizing Reporting Needs
Technical/Operational Reports Needed:
- High-level Ingest volume, bag numbers, and file numbers
- How many gigabytes, by format type for each institution puts into preservation system, for a period of time that is flexible – monthly, yearly, fiscal year…
- Where content is stored in S3, Glacier storage consumed and costs by institution, if beyond 10 TB
- Machine actionable fixity report – to compare against local checksums
- Logging of content usage by APTrust user – unsure if this means by user or institution, by users/libraries using a naming convention within an institution
- Status of items also going to DPN, by institution – Andrew reports this report is already there, and available via API, Andrew will document where and what of this report.
- Messaging between systems, when content was last audited (fixity checked) and pass along to another system – so local reports could be developed.
- Enhanced PREMIS event logging – when files are moving between systems
- Need a feature request location for new reports needed, new functionality, etc.
- APTrust managers should be able to get high-level aggregated reports across institutions, by file formats, file size, file counts, etc for marketing purposes, annual report, to report up to the governing board, etc.
- Dashboard of ingest volume
- Number of PREMIS events recorded
- Average file size
- How do count the number of works, if consists of multiple files – This would be difficult because each institution can be bagging differently, serialized formats
- Annual Report from the Director (calendar year) in advance that the APTrust bill comes out - Metric highlights over time, # of presentations, meetings with other entities, digital preservation stories (1 to 2 a year) from a couple of institutions
- Service manager activity reports oriented report
- System health report – up-time, planned downtime, unplanned downtime
- Specs for virtual machines used in AWS
- Duplication identification report, by institution (filter out content already deleted) – Andrew already has to do this and will add this to the new system
- A list of anything every deletion by done user, by institution
- How much content is ingested into APTrust that goes into DPN, and how much content APTrust is replicating from other DPN nodes
- Other reports as requested over time
- What baseline level of PREMIS should we be tracking? – Opportunity for interest group. Send an email to Bradley if interested.
- Need to divvy up reporting activities
- Once development is complete, may need fewer development staff, or re-divide up new tasks to focus on like communications activities
- APTrust invoices out by June 1, payable between June 20th and August.
- When a file is deleted, the metadata is not, but marked deleted and a PREMIS event is recorded
- APTrust will put up the list of recommended reports above and have the members vote on the priority of each, in terms of development sequence.