2018 Spring Meeting
University of Virginia - Harrison Institute-Small Library (adjacent to UVA's Alderman Library)
Thursday 26 April, 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
Friday 27 April, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
This meeting, as is customary for the spring schedule, is a working session for APTrust-member participants at all levels. Deans/directors, as always, are invited to join in as much as they'd like.
Arrangements for guest speakers are still in progress.
Agenda is currently being developed.
- Please click on the Attendees link to record your registration for the meeting (there is no registration fee).
- Visitors may reach Charlottesville by airline (Charlottesville-Albemarle Airport is served by American Airlines, Delta, and United), Amtrak train, and Trailways-Greyhound bus.
- The most convenient points of entry by car are U.S. 29 north or south, and Interstate 64 from east or west.
- Parking is available in the Central Grounds Parking Garage, 400 Emmet St.
- Accessible parking is available on McCormick Road in front of Alderman Library.
Hotels within walking distance include: The Cavalier Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Excel Inn & Suites, The Graduate, Hampton Inn & Suites, and the Oakhurst Inn.
It will be wise to book your hotel by phone so that you can ask about discounts for UVA visitors. Several of these hotels (and others around Charlottesville) are noted in UVA's procurement information to provide standard discounts of 17 to 20 percent on bookings for guests coming to UVA meetings.
The restaurant scene in Charlottesville is vibrant and diverse, with many options within walking distance or short rides from the UVA Grounds.
Things to Do While in Charlottesville
If you'd like to know about some things to do in Charlottesville, here are some of the events on that Thursday, Friday, and Saturday:
Events on Thursday, 4/26
- Old Crow Medicine Show, Spring Pavilion, 7 pm (http://sprintpavilion.shop.ticketstoday.com/basket.aspx?Action=AddTickets&eventId=183153)
Events on Friday, 4/27
- Tea Time Recitals, 1 pm, UVA-Old Cabell Hall, free
- Fridays after 5, Charlottesville Downtown Mall (begins 5 pm) (http://www.sprintpavilion.com/events-tickets/fridays-after-five-line-up)
- UVA Baseball vs. Clemson (6 pm)
Events on Saturday, 4/28
- Foxfield (steeplechase) Races (begins 9 am) (http://www.foxfieldraces.com/spring) *see note below
- UVA Baseball vs. Clemson (4 pm)
- Know the Score with Richard Will, 7:15pm, UVA-Minor Hall, free (before the Symphony concert at 8 pm in a nearby building)
- Charlottesville Symphony--Masterworks 5, 8 pm, UVA-Cabell Hall, ($10-$45 tickets)
- Margo Price at the Jefferson (8:30 pm) (http://www.jeffersontheater.com/events/detail/margo-price-1)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
You may find some additional events listed in various community calendars, including these:
Those are the things we've discovered in a quick look--others may be scheduled in coming weeks, and the musicians at Fridays After 5 haven't been listed yet.
*For the Foxfield Races, local taxi companies are known to offer discount rates to and from the nearby farmland location at the encouragement of the county government because alcohol is known to be consumed by some of the young-adult, exuberant crowd that attends the annual event.
Wireless: eduroam is available, or if your institution does not participate then we'll be able to help you with guest access on site.